Sunday, October 19, 2008

What's the point of Twitter?

Okay, I really don't see the point of Twitter. Why would you want to spend time constantly telling the world "What are you doing?" - which is the core mantra of this "service". Even worse, why would you want to listen to what others are doing all the time?

It just seems to me a big waste of time. There is a huge amount of discussion in magazines and blogs about how innovative Twitter is and how it enhances the flow of information. For me it looks like just another way to generate useless background noise.

I'm going to do a bit more research into this but for now I'm putting it in the "just another fad" category. Maybe I'm coming at this with a European perspective and Twitter is just a US fad? Here in Europe we use SMS text messages quite a bit (understatement of the year), but we use them for a purpose to communicate specific things, rather than what I see as Twitter just sending out nonsense data and hoping somebody picks it up.

I'll post further thoughts on Twitter once I do a bit more research to see if I've missed something.